The divorce papers are being finalized by my lawyer as I type this. It's over.
Instead of trying to run a business in one or two days a week plus whatever tiny bits of time I can steal out of nights and weekends, I can go back to spending a solid 30-40 hours a week in the studio and get enough sleep and give my son my undivided attention in the evenings and on weekends... and right now, that sounds like the most amazing thing in the world.
I can take all of the time and energy and emotion that I've been forced to divert into the divorce process for the past year and transmute that into making art and getting it into your hands. I can have my life back. It's over.
So: DIVORCE PARTY! RIDICULOUSLY HUGE SALE! SHENANIGANS!
Coupon code SAVETHEEVERYTHING takes 25% off anything in the "currently available" category! Which
is basically every one-of-a-kind item that I have for sale right nowsold out in approximately 3 hours on Tuesday but I have managed to restock it a tiny bit tonight.
- Neckvines are 50% off which I think means you can't afford NOT to get one. Or three.
- Every single order this week gets a signed advance copy of Unwritten Stories #2, which is going to be awesome. Depending on how you want to look at it, it's either one long and obstinate poem that can't make up its mind about the shape it wants to take or approximately twenty intertwined micropoems... about astrophysics, technology, creativity, magic, and space travel. I've been writing it since last July.
- Sign up for the Earring Club and get a special bonus second pair of earrings in your first shipment! They'll be a one-of-a-kind design created just for this sale/party and will never be available for purchase. Not even if you make sad puppy eyes at me. (New and returning subscribers only.) What will they look like? Even I don't know that yet.
- As soon as I get current orders and subscriptions shipped (so realistically, early next week) there will be a special Name-Your-Price Instant Gratification day! If you don't know what that is, it's super cool and I haven't done one in a while: you get to tell me what you want me to make and how much you can afford to spend on it, then I do the wirebending thing and if you like the result you can buy it! Also it happens more or less in real time and sometimes there's a webcam.
- Possibly more to come in the next day or so as I think up new ways to tempt you.
(For anyone who wants to know details and/or is wondering why I'm running such a drastic sale right now: what isn't over yet is the financial mess. I'm getting to keep my beautiful and beloved house but I owe the city a year of unpaid property taxes by May 15th, I owe the IRS an as-of-yet-unknown sum of money by April 15th, and I owe my amazing lawyer considerably less than I feared I would but still rather a lot of money. As things stand right now, if I pay all three of those bills today I'd probably still have about enough money for the mortgage and groceries next month, but I'd really rather not find out if my math is that good.)
EDIT April 12th or 13th I have no idea anymore: I heard you like status updates so here's a status update in your status update BRB GOING TO BED FOR THREE HOURS? But basically, my lawyer is paid, my property taxes are mostly covered, I'll worry about the IRS tomorrow, and I love all of you.
Please, please, PLEASE tell everybody you know about the sale. Post it on Facebook! Tweet about it! Tumblr it! Do whatever new thing the cool kids are doing these days! Seriously, signal-boosting something like this helps me at least as much as making a purchase. I mean that, because it's true.
Additional backstory for those of you who don't already know: I'm going through a nasty and unexpected divorce that has dragged on for almost a year, drastically affecting my chronic health issues and my ability to work. I had already sidelined Wyrding Studios a few years ago to focus on being the primary parent and homemaker, so when my former spouse abruptly left me after 14 years of marriage, it put me in the utterly terrifying position of relying on a struggling and almost obsolete small business as my only source of income for myself, my four-year-old son, two rescue cats, and two rescue dogs.
That was last May. In June, I announced what had happened and threw all of my available energy into work. It's been a long, uphill road, but I'm now confident that I can bring Wyrding Studios back to the thriving business that it was before I let it be pushed aside. In the past year, I've completely overhauled and updated the website, launched several new projects that I'm utterly thrilled about, and focused on making the best possible art that I could in what limited time I had available. Just wait until you see what I can do when I actually have enough time to do everything I want to be doing.
It's going to be awesome, and I can't wait to share it with you.