Status Reports & Other Ramblings / giveaway
Wyrding Studios is 11 years old! I still boggle at that.
As is the tradition, I am once again celebrating by putting a whole lot of stuff on sale, and offering some super-special deals, and this year there's even a hidden sale and a scavenger hunt of sorts.
Here's what we have so far:
- A sale! Coupon code ELEVENSES takes 25% off EVERYTHING. Yes, EVERYTHING. In addition to sale prices and any other discounts you might find, and speaking of which, I'll probably be tossing a few more things into clearance over the course of the week.
$5 Surprise Earrings are back, and I'll particularly call your attention to the latest option I've added when it comes to picking a color, because there will be some nifty beads in that category.
- If you've been contemplating joining the Earring Club, now would be a super great time to do that. Maybe not super great like these pictures of dogs, but super great anyway.
- Something is on a really good sale, but I'm not telling you what and you'll need to go look for it because there's nothing like looking if you want to find something. Although if you think back to last year you might know what it is.
- Speaking of finding things, there's a scavenger hunt. First you have to figure out the theme of it, and then you have to find all 11 clues relating to that theme. The clues are all bits of text, and they're scattered around the entire site - some are on the static pages with lots of text, some are in the descriptions of things you can buy, and at least one may or may not be in this blog post somewhere.
When you think you've figured it out, email me (kythryne at wyrdingstudios dot com) and tell me what 11 clues you've found - the first person (by email timestamps) to find all 11 gets a surprise shiny in their favorite color and an $11 coupon code! Everybody else who finds all 11 gets an $11 coupon code.
- STICKERS ZOMG STICKERS YAY. So a couple of years ago Rose Lemberg drew me this adorable little magpie doodle, and the other day I asked them if I could maybe make stickers out of it, and they said yes, and YAY STICKERS WERE ORDERED AND STICKERS ARE HERE AND STICKERS GO INTO EVERY PACKAGE STARTING RIGHT NOW and continues until I run out, which will take a while because, um, I got a lot of them so you might get more than one in which case you can give one to your friend or put it on your cat or something.
- See those candy-colored earrings in the bottom drawer? You get a pair of those with orders over $50. Just sayin'. Oh, and free shipping if you're in the US. Sorry, everybody else, I know your shipping rates are incredibly obnoxious. But I'll still send you free earrings and hopefully customs won't decide to take "a gift for you" literally when they read it.
- There is no #8. I just wanted to see if you were still reading.
I will probably come up with some other things to do as the week goes along, because I do that. There might be an Instant Gratification session on Friday, for instance.
Thank you all for 11 amazing, rollercoastery (shut up that is too a word now), wonderful, and very shiny years... [abrupt pause in typing while I investigate the sound of chairs falling over in the dining room] ...ANYBODY WANT A CAT WHO'S PROBABLY POSSESSED BY DEMONS?
There were four folding chairs here. Now there are only two.
1. The sale runs through Tuesday November 7th. Hopefully the apocalypse will not be upon us on November 8th. Please go vote.
2. But I'm not telling you where or exactly how many there may or may not be because that would defeat the purpose.
3. I am not responsible for any bloodshed resulting from putting a sticker on your cat. However, if you do so, please send me a photo. Thank you.
4. Please do not eat the earrings. They are not actually made of candy and I don't think they would be tasty. However, the things in the middle drawer are candy, and as you may already know, everybody gets a piece of interesting and/or delicious candy. Don't worry, none of it is durian fruit, I'm not that evil.
5. You never know. And neither do I.
In February, all Wyrding Studios Earring Club subscribers will get a special bonus pair of chainmaille earrings from guest artist Knitting Metal! We're kicking it off with a joint giveaway - one lucky winner will receive a pair of Celtic Star chainmaille earrings from Knitting Metal and a pair of dangly earvines from Wyrding Studios.
No purchase necessary to win, lots of ways to earnentries - one winner will be chosen at random from all entries on January 31st. Good luck!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Not long after I went full-time with Wyrding Studios, I bought a Nikon D40, which I used to shoot thousands of photos over the following years. Last year, when it became obvious that I needed to upgrade to a camera with image stabilization because my hand tremors were so bad that at least half the photos I took were unusable, my ex-mother-in-law very generously gifted me her Nikon D5100.
The D40 is still a perfectly solid DSLR camera - if my hands hadn't gotten shaky after my brain surgery, I probably have used it until it died and was beyond repair. I love this camera, and somehow, I could never quite bring myself to put it up for sale. Instead, I've decided to pay it forward: I'm giving it away in a random drawing.
The giveaway form is below. You can earn multiple entries by joining my mailing list, following me on Twitter or Facebook or Pinterest, pinning shinies on Pinterest, telling your friends about this giveaway, and by committing random acts of kindness. The contest runs until midnight January 31st, 2016, and one winner will be drawn at random from all the entries received. I'll ship it for free in the US; if the winner is outside the US, I will ask that you cover the difference in shipping costs.
If you win, I will ask that at some point in the future you find a way to pay it forward - you don't need to tell me about it, just keep an eye out for an opportunity to help someone and do what you can. Make the world a kinder place. We all need that.
Go forth and enter! Good luck!
(And thanks again, Randi - not having to re-take half the photos for every update is wonderful!)
Here's a review of the D40. The winner of this giveaway will receive the D40 body and kit lens as seen in the photo, plus the battery charger and one battery. No memory card, but you can pick one up pretty cheaply almost anywhere if you don't already have one that will work. I don't have the original packaging or the manual, but the manual is available online and I'll pack it carefully with lots of bubblewrap. No strap, no case. The lens does have some minor scratches but they don't affect the image quality noticeably in my opinion.
(Portrait photography by Brooklyn Logan/Mindful Mama.)
While I'm working on the photos of the newest shinies, here's a challenge for you: go find the oldest WS shinies that you own and take me on a trip down memory lane!
Here's a snapshot to kick us off - the pendant in the middle is the first piece I ever made in what eventually became my signature wirework technique. (Below it is my You Are Here pendant, significantly reworked earlier this year - I keep meaning to write something about how talisman jewelry can evolve over time - and above it is my Magen David made from a rocket.)
Post your photos on Twitter and/or Instagram with the hashtag #WS10 and tag @wyrdingstudios. Every photo you post is an entry into the giveaway for this pendant from my personal collection, circa 2005 - a quartz crystal pendant from the very first Intermittent Mysteries project. I love seeing where my shinies have ended up over the years!
Fine print: to be a valid contest entry, your photo must 1) be of a piece of Wyrding Studios jewelry that you own or previously owned, 2) be posted on Twitter and/or Instagram with the hashtag #WS10, and 3) tagged with @wyrdingstudios. Crossposted photos count as two entries. You may post as many entries as you have pieces of jewelry. If your account is locked and I'm not following you, I won't be able to see it and I can't count it! One winner will be randomly drawn from all entries on Sunday, November 8th, 2015.)